Skip to main content

ELWR-Qualifying College Courses

Students may also meet the requirement by earning a grade of "C" or better in a UC-transferable English composition course from an accredited college or university, prior to enrollment at UC San Diego.

California students

Visit ASSIST and click UC Transfer Admission Eligibility Courses - UC Transfer Eligibility Area - UC-E English Composition to search for eligible courses. 

Out-of-state students

Contact the Analytical Writing Program at with the following information. We will let you know whether it is a qualifying course.

  • College name and the state it is located in
  • Course name and course number
  • Letter grade earned

International students

None of the college composition courses taken outside of the U.S. can be used to fulfill the ELWR.